Thursday, June 23, 2011

Girls Camp!

Our family got home from Dirt Farm camping on Sunday June 12th just in time for me to do some laundry and pack back up for Calli and I to head to Girls Camp on Tuesday June 14th.
This year was ward level. We went to a nice camping spot in Enterprise, by New Castle. The Gublers that own the land are in our ward and was  happy to let us go there. It was a nice place with water, bathrooms, a pavilion and the girls favorite...showers. This year we had 2 camp directors, 2 Jr. camp leaders (2 of my seniors that are leaving) 2 hiking coordinators, and ...a Camp Cook.  Let me just say, we were spoiled and ate pretty darn good at girls camp.

We took full advantage of New Castle Reservoir. The first day we went and did some fun challenges and games with the canoes and sail boats.

I heard that the leaders won the sail boat competition. I arrived a little later to the reservoir, having had a extremely sore tooth ache, I headed to the dentist in Enterprise as they headed to the reservoir. Turns out I need a root canal. But they were able to give me some meds to keep be happy while at camp. I never had another problem with it the whole rest of camp...what a blessing. That night we had the Gooch's come up as our special guest speakers. They did a phenomenal job. They talked about Sister Gooch's experiences as a child living in the killing fields in Cambodia for 4 years. There were very few dry eyes.  Later, we played a getting to know you game and figured out every one's personality's. It was soo much fun and one of my favorite parts.
The following day the hike coordinators took the girls on their hike that ended back at the reservoir for paddle boats.  That night was skit night.

The Laurels and Mia Maids doing their skit.

The Beehives.

and the Leaders.

We even got our faithful priesthood leaders in on it. Here they are as missionaries with their cute little backpacks, name tags and toilet paper ties.
On Thursday the Bishopric came up for the day. We played a fun and intense game of Faith Factor, then had some spiritual messages and the bishopric did a Faith Walk.  The girls sang the song "We Believe" by Jenny Phillips. They get me every time they sing this song. It was so powerful. We took a break for dessert before we started our testimony meeting, when we got hit hard with a rain and wind storm. It tore through the camp collapsing several tents, bending poles and ripping the material. After a few minutes of discussion the decision was made to get the girls off the mountain. Everybody dove in and worked together. Within an hour we had the camp completely down and packed. (most of it done by lantern and flashlights) We arrived home around 11:30pm. The next morning they (Calli and I had to be to Cedar the next morning for Summer Games. Her team had already been there since Wednesday.  They ended up winning 4-2. It was a great game and Calli played the best I've ever seen her. It was way fun) met to go through all the stuff that had just been thrown and made plans to continue our camp and testimony meeting the following Wednesday night for mutual.
All in all we had a great time, lots of fun, games and laughter mixed with tears and spiritual moments. It was the best Girls Camp Ever.

1 comment:

  1. I agree it WAS one of the best girls camps ever! It also sounded so much more posh when you mentioned all the leaders that we petitioned for for camp :-) I guess we were spoiled!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.