Sunday, October 4, 2020

Camping Solo

September 25, 26 & 27. With Calli not feeling well, Sadie in Park City with friends celebrating her birthday and Gentry in Lagoon, with the YW for a covid-style Girls Camp, Adam and I decided to go camping solo! It was definitely different not having the girls around, but we made the most of it! Can’t believe we’re almost to the point of being empty nesters, good thing we love spending time together. Hiking, fishing, razor rides, games, watching the BYU game and a near death experience made for an adventurous weekend! 
 Following Adam in the razor to our camping spot. 
He didn't see this huge hole to the side of the rode and the trailer tires went right in it. He thought for sure it broke an axel. Luckily he didn't and everything was okay. But this was mishap #1 of several throughout the weekend. 
They say there are two things that test a marriage: Kids and backing a trailer. We are two for two. The future is looking bright. Although, while getting the trailer off the truck I put it in reverse instead of drive and backed up right into the trailer, again we were lucky nothing was broke or damaged and it turned out okay. Mishap #2. 
We knew we'd be pulling in a little later on Friday night so we picked up sandwiches for dinner. As soon as we were all set up we got busy playing some games and watched a movie. 
View from the back of the trailer with the back down. Love
camping by the water.
My morning view. Adam loves getting up early and heading out to fish. 
Tracked Gentry all morning as she drove to Lagoon. 
Sadie was coming from Park City to Springville to have breakfast with Austin's family and they passed on the freeway. Thought it was funny!
The water had so much algae in it that is was disgustingly beautiful. 

Morning Fishing. I went and rode around with him on the boat for a while. 
It's so peaceful. 


He caught a 4 incher. Haha!

After Fishing, we ate omelets for brunch and then set out to hike to the top of this. 

Our campsite from the peak




Heading back down. There were so many loose rocks that I wasn't surprised when I took a tumble. I was okay but split my hand open and ended up with a huge bruise on my hip. Mishap #3 I guess I need to start hiking like I'm 45 and not 19. After our hike we set out on a ride that was cut short because Amber and Eric and family who had just moved back from South Carolina came to visit. We visited for a while and then they left. 
We decided to finish our ride. Adam and I took off on a razor ride with no specific destination in sight. We just headed for the hills, shooting straight up the side of a mountain where we soon hit a dead end. We backed down quite a ways to a landing where we could turn around. There was a cliff on the drivers side, lined with trees except for a small gap where the trees separated, exposing a drop off. This is where it was the steepest and right where we needed to turn. We began our 70 point turn but the razor kept slipping on the loose rocks, sliding us closer to the gap. As we slid, we began to tip. The back passenger side tire was in the air. Adam continued to punch it trying to get past that point but we kept sliding and tipping. He stopped and we both caught our breath as we tried to come up with a solution. He told me to get out and guide him. I was nervous to get out because I was the only weight on the passenger side. I nervously got out. At this point we knew it was going to tip, that was inevitable, the only thing we could do was get past the gap so it would only tip and not roll. Our hearts were pounding but I was surprised with how calm we were able to stay. I was able to navigate him over a couple rocks until he got hung up on the last one. Every time he tried to punch it over the rock he would tip more and slide further. He was able to get out and assess the situation. He climbed back in, aligned his tires and punched it again. He was able to get past the gap but the razor slid right into a tree. At least now we wouldn’t roll. Adam did more of his master driving skills and was able to get out of the tree without tipping and back on the path. We stopped for a minute to let our hearts slow down. I asked him what if you wouldn’t have been able to get it out of the tree and he said “we’d just get the winch and pull us out”...he  paused mid sentence said a few choice words and said “we are idiots, we have a winch.” We should have never put ourselves in that situation, he should have got out and winched it out. Oh.my.gosh! Several lessons were learned on that ride, luckily not the hard way. We thanked our Heavenly Father for protecting us from our own stupid predicament. Big Mishap #4
I wish the pictures showed just how tilted and scary it was. 

This one shows where the rear tire kept sliding and lifting up the other rear tire. We put the big rock there to hopefully keep it from sliding as we assessed. 
We were so happy to have made it back to camp, a little shaken up but happy. Needless, to say after that we stayed on well marked trails and... 
took smaller rides like down to the reservoir. 
Later, Adam did some night fishing while I stayed in the trailer and cut up vegetables for tin foil dinners, played solitaire and kept an eye on him through the binoculars. 
After dinner we played games, watched the BYU football game and then drove to Cedar to meet up with the YW to pick up Gentry and bring her back with us. 
It began getting windy during the night so we woke up early, packed up and headed out. It was a great weekend. Although a few mishaps along the way, our first solo camping trip was a success. I'm sure there will be plenty more of those in our future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.