Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Linkity and Scripture Study

We are constantly trying to find new ways to keep the kids listening during family scripture study. We are reading in 2 Nephi right now which contains alot of Isaiah's writing. So needless to say it hard to explain to the girls what going on when we are confused ourselves. So we have been pulling out the game "Linkity." It is a game with a stack of cards with a letter of the alphabet on each card. We divide the cards among them and then as they listen to us read the scriptures they listen for words that start with the letter on their card. For instance if they are holding a card with a "L" on it and hear the word "Liahona" they quietly say "Liahona" and put their card in the pile. The first one to get rid of their cards wins. I've never seen them listen so intently. I was actually surprised at how well Gentry did as well. They might not be understanding everything we read, but they are sitting, they are listening, they are being quiet, and they aren't poking or bugging the person next to them (a miracle in itself.) So here's an idea just in case you have a family like ours where it's hard enough just to sit and get through a chapter a night...play a game. I'd love to know some of your ideas that you do in your home that have seemed to work.

8 comments:

  1. Love the idea of playing a quiet game, and still have them listening. I mention Book of Mormon, and my kids start whinning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I already left a comment, but I guess it didn't save...
    So, I love this idea, Joely wants me to buy this game today.
    As for Isiah, we just read through it as quick as possible, because I don't understand half of it either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hee hee, I think that all the time when you don't update your blog...I'm wishing for some entertainment. I've got to upload some stinkin' pictures! That will be my goal for today!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where can you get this game? I need it!!! I can sometimes get the older kids to sit still - but the little ones are impossible. And then the older kids get up and chase the little kids because they want to "help". Anyway - great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Robin, thanks for giving Niquelle a "mom" hug, you're so sweet we miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We did the Lorax hike on Thursday...I dont mess with Wednesday nights that's 'Lost' night and I dont have TeVo. I did take the kids to Sand Hollow this year, but I didn't last year, but i had to swim, because mine are too little to just sit on the sides. I'm trying to think if there is anything worse then hanging out in a swimsuit with millions of other people who recognize you, it's the worst! I'm still feeling bummed that your kids aren't going to the knew school, the Deckers are going there also, and the Wardens, and the Brooks, and the Speks. I wish you guys were too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you like how I wrote 'knew school' instead of 'new school' oops!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.