Wednesday, October 19, 2011

17 miracles!

I had the privilege of watching this movie last June with the youth for Youth Conference.  I came home and told Adam all about it and knew it was one we wanted to buy when it came out on DVD.  (Ann Rowley, the mom that put 2 hard biscuits in her pot, is my great, great, great grandmother) Last week I watched it again as a young women activity. Calli also got to see it. She loved it and has talked and talked about it. After hearing Calli's report, Sadie and Gentry wanted to see it.  So for FHE on Monday, we all sat down in the theater room and watched it together. I thought that Sadie and Gentry would either 1) get bored and end up wandering off to go play else where, or 2) think it was scary and hide under the blankets and miss most of it. I was so wrong. They sat and watched the entire thing.  During the first 20 minutes of the movie, Calli came up to me and whispered in my ear "This is going to be a long movie" I said "Why" and she said "because Sadie is already crying."  Bless her heart, Sadie cried through the ENTIRE movie.  She is so sensitive and the stories just touched her heart.  Toward the end of the movie when George dies, I looked over at Gentry and tears were just streaming down her face.  I pulled her over to me to sit on my lap and she buried her head in my chest and cried and cried.  My heart just broke and I thought what a terrible mother I am to make them sit and bear through this movie.  But at the same time I was so incredibly humbled by them and the sweet compassion they had for these pioneers and their great, great, great, great grandmother.  Even at such a young age they understood and allowed it to touch their little hearts.  That moment was indescribable for me as a mother...and wife (yes, the girls were not the only ones crying) After the movie we just sat there for another hour and talked about the pioneers, our ancestors and all they did for us and all they ask from us in return is that we remain faithful. That was one of my favorite lines in the movie.  One women as she was dying said "This will all be worth it, if our posterity will remain faithful."  Even during their darkest times they were not thinking of themselves but their posterity.  I hope my girls will remember this moment for years to come.

2 comments:

  1. No way! I love that this movie talks about your relative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny thing.. we watched it today as a family. I wondered if the kids should be watching it but of all the things they see in the world I think it's a good one. I actually went on a couple dates with "George" in college- funny!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.