The Young Women just got done doing the neatest and funnest thing...Starting in May each of the Young Women (that wanted to or needed a project to pass off,) came up with a class they wanted to teach the primary children over the summer. We put sign-ups by the primary room doors for a couple weeks so that parents could sign up their kids for various classes. The Young Women made calendars/schedules to give to their classes. Then each week the primary children had lots of fun classes to go to all summer long. As a mom I loved it and received many comments on how nice it was to have something for the kids to do that was fun and free almost everyday of summer. We had dance classes, theater classes, stage combat classes, art classes etc. The young women (most of them in pairs) taught these classes on their own time until they each reached at least 8 hours. The other 2 hours came from the "Summer Spectacular" which we used as our P-night and held during mutual. We had each of the classes perform and showcase the talents that they had learned over the summer. We also had all the art that the kids in the art classes did and displayed those as well. Then we all had "value colored sugar cookies" It was such a fun night and we had a great turn-out. We had 11 young women pass off a project. It was defiantly worth it, even with all the sleepless nights I had leading up to the spectacular. Since then, I have only received positive feedback about this experience, and I think we would defiantly do it again. The only ting I would change next time is to limit the class sizes so the young women don't feel overtaken by kids. Some classes had as many as 17 kids but the Young Women did amazing I was so proud of each of them. (Calli along with her friend Megan taught the theater class and did a Dr. Seuss play) Without actually teaching class I was able to pass off one of my projects as well with just all teh odds and ends of the event.
Coastal College Bedroom
2 days ago







No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.